Monday, September 23, 2013

Let Me Wash My Dishes

Hi Everyone,

Today was a weird day. For the first time being since getting here, I was scolded by my mother.

Here's the story: I got home at 7:30ish after doing some work with friends. I put down my things, and within 30 seconds there was a plate of more food than I would ever dream of eating on the table waiting for me. I ate alone as my family and already eaten, and when I finished, I did what normal people do: I walked into the kitchen and washed my plate. She was watching TV at the time where this horrible transgression occurred, but she got up from watching her show in order to come into the kitchen and tell me that I do not have to do that. Not only that I do not--that I SHOULD NOT. I should add that tonight was the first time I even tried to wash my own plate. My mom gets uncomfortable when I clear too many dishes.

Like every other human, I don't like cleaning. Consequently, I shouldn't complain that I don't have to do so here. However, it feels weird to not be allowed to. I (sort of) understand why some of my male friends aren't allowed to clean their dishes (traditional society, a kitchen is a woman's place, make me a sammich), but as a resident of the house, I want to help.

But I'd rather keep Mama happy, so I guess I will continue to not do my dishes...

No comments:

Post a Comment