Saturday, November 2, 2013

Random Things

Hey everyone,

This post is dedicated to random things I've seen and heard here that's have found entertaining. Jordan is a really interesting place. It seems like your average western city, but then things happen that remind me that it just isn't. Here are some examples:

Taxi stories

Today in a cab, I heard an Arabic techno remix of I Will Survive. I even understood some of it. 

Many times in cabs, I've been asked if I'm married. In the beginning I said no, and was consequently awkwardly hit on by cab drivers. Then I adopted a story of having a boyfriend in the US to see what would happen. One cabbie suggested that I keep my bf at home and pick up another one here. I politely declined. Today I just said I was married and he was in the US. He asked if I would marry him also, hoping I could get him a green card. These interactions are always done jokingly, but I wonder what would happen if I understood or could actually ask the cabbies about what our life would be like. I think it's good I can't. 

Another cab driver was being super friendly with me and a friend, and then explained that his 2 year old needed heart surgery and is $2000 short. We didn't believe him until he took five phone calls in which he asked for cash. We let him keep our change. 

Cab drivers tell me my Arabic is very good. I laugh at them.

Stories of me failing at Arabic

The word for cornerstone is dukan. The word for cigarette is duchan (the government subsidizes cigarettes to the point when a pack is literally fifty cents). I told my sister I had to go to the cigarette today. She was very confused.

A few weeks ago I told someone that her dress was crazy. I meant pretty. Oops.

Today, my phone fell in some water and I tried to get some dry rice from my host mom to get the water from it. She thought at first I wanted to feed my phone mansaf (a dish with rice, meat, and a yogurt sauce). Then she thought I wanted to cook my phone in water with rice. Eventually we got it, but it was a struggle. Now I just hope my phone is ok.

Stories reminding me how perfect my life is

Yesterday, I lost my wallet. My amazing mother canceled all the cards for me and ordered new ones (seriously she is a saint). I was really frustrated in general today. When I got home, an Iraqi woman was over with her two kids. I was sitting with her while she was chatting with my host family, and I zoned out for a bit. The next thing I knew, she was crying hysterically. I couldn't understand why until my host mom translated. Turns out she came to Jordan a month ago after witnessing Shia militants shoot her husband and oldest two sons. All of my frustration promptly evaporated. We in the west read articles about dozens being killed in Iraq or Afghanistan everyday and forget that the human consequences. Seeing this woman and her resilience reminded me just how incredibly lucky I am to not have grown up in a war zone. 

Stories reminding me how wonderful Arabs are

Last week I was at a cafe watching the Barcelona Madrid soccer game. My brother rolled up on his bike, and I asked him to teach me Arabic words about soccer. As he and I struggled, a guy overheard us and instantly started helping me spell everything right. I then found out that this 20 year old kid named Ibrahim moved from Syria 8 months ago. I offered to buy him a coffee for his help, and he continually refused. He did insist on sharing his snacks with me though. 

Every time I meet someone and tell them I'm from America, they always ask me the same questions, and the conversation goes similarly. They ask me what I think if Jordan, I say it's beautiful, they tell me America is prettier and that they hope some day to go. They then ask me why I want to learn Arabic, and I say because its a pretty language, but its hard to learn. They then say that learning English is easier because of media (music, tv, etc). I tell them they are right. They then drill into my head just how welcome I am in Jordan. You are welcome, you are welcome, you are welcome. Anti-American sentiment is a real thing in many places because of US foreign policy, but they love and respect American people. 

Every time I go to a cafe, every waiter comes over and says hello. At my normal cafe, all of the wait staff now knows me by name and brings my coffee as soon as I walk in the door, always asking "how are you Becca" and using my name every time they speak to me. I forget their names all the time (half of them are Ahmed and Mohammad) but they don't hold it against me. 

Yesterday, I needed a sheet of paper, and when I asked someone at the table next to me, he said he didn't have and then proceeded to go to every table at the cafe until someone could find me one. Stirs is normal. People here are unbelievably helpful, expecting nothing in return. Seriously, Jordanians are the most generous and giving people ever. 



That's all for now. I'm going to be off the grid for about a week as my brogram is taking a trip down to the south of Jordan, including Dana, Petra, wadi rum and Aqaba. I'm really excited, and I will share stories when I get back. 

Best, 
Becca 





No comments:

Post a Comment